To defer your enrollment at Duke, you must agree to the following conditions:
- You agree not to apply for admission as a degree-seeking student to any other college or university during the remainder of this year or during the coming year.
- You may not enroll at another college or university as a degree-seeking or part-time student during your gap year with the expectation of:
- Receiving Duke credit for those courses
- Repeating those courses at Duke for credit
- You may not enroll in a post-graduate program at a secondary school.
- You continue to abide by both the Conditions of Application* and the conditions mentioned in your letter of admission: We expect you to maintain high standards of academic performance and personal behavior in and out of school, which includes abiding by our COMMUNITY STANDARD. If there is any change in the information in your application—including any academic, personal, disciplinary, or legal matters—you must contact the admissions office within 48 hours.
By joining the Duke Gap Year Program, you agree that:
- You will attend and complete a Duke Gap Year Program pre-departure webinar with members of the Duke Gap Year Program
- You will submit information on a pre-departure survey that the Gap Year Research Consortium at Colorado College for research on gap
- You will provide a brief biography and profile picture to be used for posts to the Duke Gap Year Program
- You will establish an account on Duke Box and then join the Duke Gap Year Program Box so that Duke can share information with you and the others in the Duke Gap Year Program and you can confidentially share information with Duke and the others in the Program
- You will stay in regular contact with the Duke Gap Year Program
- Participant will meaningfully participate on the Duke Gap Year Program Blog, including by registering a Blog profile with a picture and brief biography, and by submitting at least six blogs during the Gap Year
- You will meaningfully participate in the Duke Gap Year Program’s Social Media Sites (Instagram, Twitter and Facebook), including by submitting at least one post per month with an image and short caption.
- You will prepare and submit a confidential Mid-Year Report summarizing the Gap Year experience so far and evaluation of it by January 1. The Gap Year Program Team will provide an outline of questions
After Your Gap Year
- You will prepare and submit a confidential Year End Report on the Gap Year experience and evaluation of it by August 1. The Gap Year Program Team will provide an outline of
- You will participate in on-campus events related to the Duke Gap Year
- You will serve as a mentor to future students participating in the Duke Gap Year
- You will submit information on a survey at the end of Participant’s first year at Duke that will be transferred to the Gap Year Research Consortium at Colorado College for research on gap years.
- You will submit information on a survey prior to graduation from Duke on the Gap Year experience for Duke use only
*Conditions of Application
In applying for admission to Duke University, you are consenting to the following conditions:
- That providing any false or misleading information, including your citizenship or U.S. visa status, is grounds for termination of your application or revocation of an admissions offer or your enrollment status at any time;
- That you authorize discussion of your candidacy by the Admissions Office with appropriate faculty and staff of all educational institutions you have attended and other institutions where you have worked, served, lived or volunteered in the last four years;
- That the only valid notification of an admissions decision is the formal decision letter from the Dean of Undergraduate Admissions;
- That Duke University may discontinue your application for admission or withdraw an offer of admission if we determine that:
- You have been accepted under a binding Early Decision program to another college or university;
- You have applied Early Decision to Duke and the terms of our Early Decision agreement are not met;
- You acted in a manner that calls into question your honesty, integrity, or character;
- You omitted mention of any significant disciplinary or other sanction by any educational institution or other program in which you have participated or to which you have been admitted.
- That if any of the information in your application changes between now and your enrollment at Duke, you will notify the Admissions Office by submitting the appropriate information in the “Update Application” section in the Duke Application portal within 48 hours. Failing to notify the Admissions Office within 48 hours of any changes may result in the withdrawal of your application and/or the offer of admission at any time.